8.31.2008

Its a Good Thing I Got out of School When I Did & Other Sundry News

Last week, I met with a woman from Binghamton University's Educational Talent Search Department. It sounds like she's in cahoots with Ed McMahon, I know. Actually, she is sort of a glorified guidance counselor who is available to prospective students in need of, well, guidance.

She and I talked my educational and career situations and my interest in returning to school to complete my bachelor's degree. She was helpful and provided an assortment of ideas for me to consider both now and in the future. I left feeling pretty empowered and excited about the possibility of going back to school.

Today, I completed my application for BU's Human Development Degree Program in the College of Community and Public Affairs. BU is notoriously difficult to get into, unfortunately, but I'm not worrying about that right now. I'm just happy that I'm doing something to take control of my own destiny and that I've found a resource to utilize.

Now, I'll tell you something crazy: as part of my application, I had to include the amount of credits I'll have completed prior to entering the university. I have... (ready?) 123, which is nearly as much as or more than Jesse completed for his rigorous Aerospace Engineering degree. I suppose I can continue to criticize myself for spending so. many. years. "finding myself" or my "path" or what have you (Tovah always encourages me to cut myself some slack). At least I didn't continue my soul-searching in college! Can you imagine my list of completed course work if I'd continued my path of career student? Sheesh!

No comments: