8.28.2008

The First Few Days

I have been a very bad blogger. I'm sorry. I am so used to long, quiet days with plenty of time to blog wildly and although I have only worked three short shifts, my rhythms are so thrown off that I haven't been in a very bloggy place.

That said, I have finished three shifts and I think its going well. I assumed that the first shift would have involved time with the manager discussing policies, the menu, the registers, you know, training. This assumption was thoroughly incorrect. When I arrived on my first day, I was hooked up with a high school girl who wandered around while I followed her. She would share random bagel shop things that I'll "need to know at some point." When customers came, she would have me "run the register," by which I mean she would point at a button and I would push it. We would continue doing that until the order was complete. ::shakes head::

I am starting to catch on and the people are really nice, something to which I am thoroughly unaccustomed. They feed me for free when I work and I get breaks. Breaks, do you hear me?? Breaks! I can hardly believe it. A typical busy day at the fh would have involved a 15 or 20 minute lunch and 6 or 8 + straight hours. The boss got to have dinner but I had to plug along. If I insisted on leaving for dinner (I am such a whiny bitch), they would act like I was requesting to remove their spleen immediately and in the very room in which we were standing.

I am a little concerned because I know there are things that I'll need to know and they're not telling me and, of course, I don't know exactly what they are so I can't ask. I'm sure there's going to be a day when I should know something obvious and I won't know it and they'll be annoyed at me since I've been working there for weeks or months I don't know it simply because they didn't ever train me completely.

1 comment:

Tovah Means said...

It's so great to hear about your first few days! Glad people are so nice...I like picturing you in the bagel shop. Can you please send a cheddar bagel with egg and cheese to Chicago? Love ya!