7.06.2008

Mikus+Jesse+Lisa=A Great 8 Days Part 1

Yeah, his guitar slung across his back
His dusty boots is his cadillac
Flamin' hair just a blowin' in the wind
Ain't seen a bed in so long its a sin...
-Jimi Hendrix, "Highway Chile"
Jesse and I spent a really great, fun eight days with Jesse's brother, Michael (affectionately nicknamed Mikus), who came from WI for a visit. Mikus arrived on Saturday, June 28, and the day was pretty low key. Our first meal, though not entirely vegan for Jess and me, was yummy and a good start. Jesse and Mikus dealt with the charcoal grill while I made fresh guacamole and an orange, arugula and radish salad in a lime juice dressing. The salad was incredibly acidic, sweet and peppery and was a nice accompaniment to our grilled main course: burgers for me and Jess, tofu brats for Mikus. After dinner, the three of us went for a walk at the park across the street. Jesse had helped our friends, Mark and Stacy, move and was exhausted and headed to bed early. Now, I will mention that I become nearly ecstatic when I discover someone who is enthusiastic about Chicago Public Radio's This American Life. Just ask Andrew. I flush with excitement and approach giddiness when I find someone with whom I can discuss past shows (i.e., "oh, have you heard the one with the brother who has a retarded brother who has a pet armadillo that he tries to drown....? That's one of my favorites!! Oh, and what about the one....") I mention this because Mikus, too, enjoys TAL. I can not speak to the degree of his enjoyment but I'll suffice to say that he graciously allowed me to gush and we stayed up late listening to some favorites.

Sunday, June 29, started with VeganYumYum's Easy Weekend Pancakes made with whole wheat flour and orange extract. Although Jesse didn't care for them, Mikus and I both really enjoyed them. They had a nice, nutty flavor and were really hearty because of the whole wheat flour. I had plans for the afternoon so I left the boys unattended for a few hours. While I was out, they played frisbee and hit the pool at our apartment complex.
When I got home, Mikus and Jesse were playing Wii and I got started on dinner. We had tempeh stir fry over Black Japonica rice. Again, Mikus and I both enjoyed it alot; Jesse was only so-so about it but he was a good sport. After dinner, we went to see our neighbors, Philip and Emily and doggins, Nikko, for a few rousing games of Uno Attack. Later after Jesse went to bed, Mikus and I headed out for a nice, long walk for a couple of hours. We talked and goofed and had a really fun time.

Monday, June 30. Mikus and I made the trip to Ithaca to Robert H. Treman State Park. The weather was decent and the temperature was around 74 degrees-a nice day for a hike along the gorge and up to Lucifer Falls. The hike is rigorous and was a slow-go for me. Thankfully, Mikus forged ahead while I took it slowly, happy to huff and puff while in relative privacy. Mike and I reconvened at some point and mostly stuck together for the balance of the hike. At the end of the gorge trail, there's a bridge that can be crossed to reach the Rim Trail which heads back the other way. I was not interested in such mundanity. I sloughed my shoes and socks and stepped right into the cool water and cautiously started to head towards the falls; Mikus followed my lead. The water was so refreshing that I couldn't pull myself from it and we forged ahead until we were really in it.
It was entirely exhilarating.
We were being totally illegal. After a few minutes of sitting in the spray, we turned back and returned to drier, more boring parts. We were received by a newbie park ranger who was alarmed by our inadvisable detour. He made vague threats about $250 fines and calling the sheriff and admonished us before he dismissed us. We made our way to the Rim Trail to head back. We chuckled about the incident; I could have cared less. I had such a high. The hike back was fun and I/we? had a new spring in my step. We talked and joked; Mikus is great company. We got back to the car with no further commotion. Our next stop was GreenStar, the local natural food co-op, for some lunch and groceries. Wegmans was next then back to the J and L house for dinner: VeganYumYum's Mac and Cheeze and Alton Brown's Roasted Broccoli (sans rasp-grated cheddar). YUM! The mac and cheeze was really good. No cheese, of course, but still creamy, salty, vaguely cheese-ish. Lolo makes a great point:
Your omnivore or veggie friend/spouse/child may love it as much as or even more than the real stuff (if you’re lucky), but they probably love it on its own merits, not because they really can’t tell the difference.

But you know what? It doesn’t have to taste exactly the same for me to love it.

I agree. Jesse did not. He thought it had a peanut buttery taste. Mac and PB. He was still a good sport about it.

Tuesday, July 1. Mikus and I had pancakes again before heading to the The Glen, part of the Waterman Conservation Education Center which is not far from the apartment. We inadvertently took the least pleasurable trail-the one which went through parts of a golf course, the one with visible housing development construction; the one gorge, waterfalls and wildflowers. Rats. It was kind of a bust. After we traipsed around for a while, we headed home. The mail brought a rejection letter from a chiropractor's office where I really wanted a job. I threw myself a pity party and Mikus did some drawing. After an appropriate time of sad-sackiness, we listened to some Savage Love Podcast and I began some dinner preparations. Philip and Emily were joining us for VeganYumYum's Crispy Sweet and Sour Tofu with jicama, orange, jalapeno and red pepper salad on the side. Philip and Emily are omnis just like Jess and me but they have never been exposed to an entire vegan meal, with tofu as the main course. I am happy to say that they both enjoyed it! They brought sorbet for dessert and afterwards, we sat outside to continue the visit. If I remember right, the after Jesse went to bed activity was Juno, one of my newest favorite movies that Mikus hadn't yet seen.

Wednesday, July 2. I was feeling in the mood for a low key day so we went to Greenwood Park to chill. I laid in the sun, wrote a letter to my brother who is in Alaska for a month and read Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland. Mikus walked around the small lake and laid around with me afterwards. The day was totally laid back-just what I wanted after two days of hiking about in the great outdoors. Jesse got home and the three of us made the trip to Ithaca for dinner at Moosewood. Here's an excerpt from Michael Stern's roadfood review:
Moosewood is a brash, free-spirited enterprise that reminds us of an art gallery more than a restaurant. Dining is informal and inexpensive. Anything dressier than jeans would feel inappropriate, and service is communal, meaning that orders are taken and food is served by whichever member of the staff is available to perform the task at hand.
The experience was really great for me and hopefully for J & M, too. Mikus ordered the vegan entree, Caribbean Tofu Stew; Jesse had fresh wild haddock bouillabaisse; I ordered the spinach ravioli in pesto sauce. YUM. I loved my meal and my gin, citrus and honey cocktail was really refreshing and appropriately boozy. Next on the agenda: fireworks! We sat on the grass in the field across from Ithaca College for the community fireworks show. The display was about 20 minutes or so and pretty impressive; really enjoyable to goof around with J & M while we waited, too.

I love this cute picture of the three of us. Its an arduous task to get such a nice shot of Mikus.I am sure there was an after-hours activity for the night owls. More TAL, perhaps...? Can't quite remember.


Moosewood image via roadfood

No comments: