6.15.2008

Please, Train Conductor, Quiet Down!


Dear Train Conductor traveling through the Endicott, NY area in the middle of the night,

Although I have no particular affectations for trains, I do really like the chugga-chugga chugga-chugga sound that trains make. I asked for and received a white noise machine as a gift several years ago and, instead of choosing the sound of the ocean or the rain forest or whatever, I chose the chugga-chugga chugga-chugga train sound. Unusual, I know, but it was pretty soothing and I liked it. Now, when I hear a train, I often joke that it must be bedtime.

I DO NOT like trains when, at 4:05 a.m., you're wildly blowing your horn for 6 or 8 or alot of minutes. Frequently, I wake with a start and can only ASSUME the following scenario: some capricious soul has chosen the speeding train as a means of suiciding and you're trying desperately to warn or scare this person. You're hoping they've only accidentally happened upon the train tracks and have no self-destructive plot in mind.

THIS scenario is absolutely appropriate for wildly sounding your horn and inadvertently waking me at 4:13 a.m. But I am a habitual obituary reader and actually have an affinity to particularly morbid news and stories and would know of a rash of suicides in the area of your disruptive horn-blowing warnings, if such was the case.

Since this is, in fact, NOT the case (the warning of the kamikaze mortal, and so on and so forth), HUSH UP ALREADY! You're startling me and then I can't sleep (and am writing you this letter at 5:13 a.m.)

Thanks,
Lisa.


image via Paris Parfait

No comments: