6.19.2008

You Don't Like All Those Chemicals, Right?

Jesse and I have recently been buying more and more organic produce. It started slowly and then, all of a sudden, our fridge was stocked primarily with the organic varieties. I am totally behind the organic produce option and love that its available so readily. I love how organic produce tastes so much better and I hate how non-organic produce is so filmy with who-knows-what kind of grime. Yuck. But right now we're stretching one paycheck and sometimes I wonder if a little non-organic produce is ok. Is it really necessary to buy organic scallions when they're four times as expensive? Maybe this one week we can skip the organic limes and get the cheaper, fatter, chemicalier ones and we'll be ok. Do you have this struggle?

Well, I have another downloadable wallet guide for you (see Dear Ocean, I Love You for how to get a downloadable wallet guide of the safe, safer, and totally unsafe list of seafood choices). This list is courtesy of the Environmental Working Group and they have so much great information on their site. They have news about how to protect your pets from toxic chemicals, suggestions on how to pick a sunscreen and a guide to infant formula.

Right now I'm really excited about their Shoppers Guide to Pesticides in Produce. The complete list rates a variety of produce and assigns numbers for the degree of pesticide load (peaches are the worst at 100; onions are the best with the lowest pesticide load of 1). The downloadable version shows the Dirty Dozen that you should always buy organic and the Clean 12 with the lowest pesticide load. If you have to choose some produce to buy that's not organic, these are the best options!


image via The Green Report


No comments: