6.14.2008

100 Thing Challenge

I stumbled onto an article in TIME about Dave Bruno, 37, who was overwhelmed by the clutter in his family's home. He decided to try to pare down his personal belongings by donating, selling or tossing the excess and is calling this project the 100 Thing Challenge. He blogged about it at guynameddave.typepad.com and has developed a cult-like following with others trying his challenge. According to the TIME article, Bruno has tossed his iPod and guitar but can't decide if he should trash one of his three pairs of jeans.

I will say that I admire Dave Bruno and his devotees and totally understand how oppressive and disruptive clutter can be. For me, clutter creates a sense of overwhelming chaos inside of me. Jesse will tell you that I often can not settle down for a movie before I have cleaned the kitchen. A clean, UNCLUTTERED kitchen makes me feel like all is well(ish) with the world.

That said, I could never follow Bruno's lead. I couldn't get by without my iPod. I always have an in progress project floating around. Each of my kitchen tools is necessary for a specific task and each task is easily accomplished with the appropriate tool-even if one meal requires 8 or 10 or even 15 various tools.

On the other hand, a less scary version of Bruno's challenge should definitely be a part of my life. I have never-been-read books that will probably remain that way. I'm hanging onto super sexy dresses that I wore while working at evolution102. Even if I ever slim down enough to fit into them, they're totally not my style anymore.

I'm totally impressed by Bruno and his devotees. Perhaps I can stray from my hoarder tendencies a little and free myself of some of these excess things. Thoughts?

No comments: