8.08.2010

Re: Ovariohysterectomy



It has been four days since Olive's surgery and, for the most part, she is doing fine. As awful as it was to take her and leave her for her procedure, I think the post-surgery care is even worse-for both of us! She's in a little bunny e-collar which she hates, of course. She keeps trying to groom herself despite the fact that she's accomplishing nothing through the collar. Since she is so short, the collar gets hung up on all sorts of things in her cage, though many things have been removed to give her a little extra room. Her belly is shaved and her 3 or so inch incision is stapled (my poor bun!), she is on cage rest until next Saturday when her staples are removed, and we're giving her pain meds orally every night.

I hate seeing her cramped and uncomfortable and struggling with her collar so much. I was really affected by it, seeing her made me so upset. Last night, while I cleaned her cage, we gave her some e-collar free time out of her cage, which made everyone happy. She played and lounged and groomed a lot in her cardboard tunnel-she probably felt safest and most out-of-our reach there. Although I was upset to relegate her to her cage again, I was so much happier after her recess time.

Today, while I was around to "supervise," Olive had some more collar-free time. We left her cage door open, but she stayed inside the whole time. Tomorrow, I'll do more supervising.

I am inclined to let her be sans collar for, well, the rest of the week. She doesn't seem particularly interested in her incision at all, and things would be so much better (right?) if she wasn't so... restrained. But it's only a few more days. I'll be so excited to bring her home after her staple-remover and let her go on her little bunny way.

p.s. Blogger should be less ridiculous and let me put my pics where I want them, where they belong.

p.s.s. Having Olive is one of the funner things I've ever done, I think.

No comments: