8.24.2009

Rehoboth Beach

J and I spent a few days in Rehoboth Beach, DE last week. It was our first time there; we went primarily to check out Dogfish Head Brewery and secondarily to meet up with Rachel@Philadelphia and her husby Eric. We stayed at a really beautiful and fancy place called the Canalside Inn, which was in walking distance to the boardwalk and beach. The weather was great, upper 80s and 90s the whole time.

We didn't do too much in terms of activities; we did alot of walking around town, we swam and laid around at the beach at Cape Henlopen (a Delaware state park that was much quieter and calmer than the public beach at Rehoboth), walked along the beach @ Rehoboth, toured Dogfish Head (damn, that place smelled fantastic), and spent some time with Rachel and Eric.

As far as I'm concerned, all the restaurants that we tried were extremely mediocre. Sure, Rehoboth is not known to be a culinary destination by any means, but still.... If you don't want to eat lousy boardwalk food or pay $35.00 for a piece of salmon (not that I eat Atlantic Salmon anymore anyways) at one of the wildly high-end restaurants, you're stuck with what's in between. And it mostly wasn't very good.

There were some food high-lights:
  • Iguana Grill Restaurant and Cantina
  • The Ice Cream Store. This place has 70 plus flavors, many homemade with milk from a local dairy farm. Some particularly interesting flavors: sweet corn, spinach, bacon, eggplant, pink mint chip.
  • Greenman Bistro & Juice Bar. I'm sad we didn't try this place until our last morning when we ate there with Rachel and Eric. Greenman is delicious and just our style (organic, free range, fresh, local, biodegradable, fair trade, heaven)
The nice thing about this trip is that we were both able to relax quickly and stay relaxed for the duration of the vacation. We had a lot of fun together which is something that was infrequent when I was working overnights. I know I get all balled up about the stress and pressure of life and it was nice to be reminded how much fun J and I have together when we can forget about the day-to-day for a while. For that reason, the trip was really special and memorable.

Check out the photos.


No comments: