2.28.2010

Very Sophisticated Earplugs

Jesse has always been a snorer, often keeping me up or waking me from my sleep. It's even worse since his surgery because he's sleeping on his back. Normally, I'd poke him and ask him to turn over but I can't do that now.

For years, my mom-in-law has been suggesting I try earplugs and last night, I did. They worked ok. It was a good suggestion, but they make me feel vulnerable, more open to attack. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm concerned that I wouldn't hear an intruder. I shouldn't say this shortly before I am about to have a house guest (Rachel@Philly is coming for my birthday!), but I don't feel that this house is particularly safe.

There are some other problems that are not inherent to the earplugs themselves but to me:
  1. I rely heavily on my white noise machine which I can't hear through the earplugs.
  2. I often "can't" hear, don't hear, manage to ignore my alarm(s). The use of earplugs would certainly exacerbate this.

So, while I was dreaming of squirrel-hunting bitches, I was apparently also devising a plan for Very Sophisticated Earplugs. These earplugs would have a white noise machine built into them which would also improve their sound-muffling ability. They'd also have a timer/alarm. Let me see if I can explain this: you'd set the timer/alarm for your normal wake-up time and you'd also set your alarm clock. At the designated time, the central portion would pop out like a turkey timer, rendering them unable to muffle sound and allowing you to hear your alarm clock. I don't want them to pop out entirely since then you'd also have to find them. Just the center should pop to allow sound into the ear canal; the center should still remain a part of the earplug, though.

I don't know how to improve the earplugs to allow for me to hear attackers, though. I guess I have to keep working on this.

What do you think of my VSE?

No comments: