11.02.2008

L and J in the Pitts

The weekend of October 24-26, Jesse and I were in the Pittsburgh area for Emily and Philip's wedding. We left on Friday morning and had a long and arduous drive. Google took us through extensive construction and a number of small towns with frustratingly low speed limits. We reached the hotel in Belle Vernon, PA, ate dinner at a nearby sports bar and retired early in preparation for the next day.

Saturday morning, we got on the road early and headed into Pittsburgh to check out the Strip District, a busy market district with lots of cafes, ethnic food shops, kitchen stores, fresh produce and flowers. Some highlights: In the Kitchen, an independently owned kitchen store; Mon Amiee Chocolat, a chocolate and gourmet sweet shop which resulted in serious sensory overload; Pennsylvania Macaroni Company, one of the many specialty food shops in the foodie destination that is the Strip District. The best meal I have had in a long time was lunch at Cafe on the Strip, a hole-in-the-wall Italian cafe with the best Italian Wedding Soup and baked mancotti I'm sure I've ever had. We left the Strip full and content and pleased with our Christmas present purchases.

Jesse and I returned to the hotel to clean up for the wedding. Before leaving town, I purchased my first curling iron ever for the occasion. Kathy, the woman who cuts our hair, recently cut mine and convinced me I was grown up enough to own and operate such an appliance. Feeling empowered, I took her advice and bought one that was identical to hers and ridiculously inexpensive ($8, the perfect price for what amounted to an experiment). So, we got fancy and it was off to the church.

Our seats were right up front and we couldn't see much of the hot action since it was blocked by the wide array of groomsmen. The ceremony was performed by Philip's uncle.

The reception was the Cedarbrook Golf Course. The food was really good and the booze was plentiful.
Find more pictures from our trip into Pittsburgh and from the wedding and reception on flickr.

By the way, the Hampton Inn we stayed at does not recycle. I informed the staff that I was completely disappointed to learn that they don't recycle and I took my breakfast cereal box and a couple other cereal boxes home to NY to recycle them. I have to do some research and find out if all Hampton Inns are as environmentally irresponsible as the Belle Vernon location. If so, we won't be staying with them anymore.

No comments: