10.17.2008

Quick and Tasty Italian Sausage Soup with Vegan Substitutions

I recently made Italian Sausage Soup with some fresh, local sausage. It was so delicious! The recipe is from Slashfood; it is so speedy and requires minimal knife work. I've included the specific ingredients I used in our soup in parentheses. Vegan suggestions follow.

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage and garlic* to pan and cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; return to pan.

While the sausage is browning, start a separate pot and boil water for pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta until al dente.

Add broth and tomatoes to the saucepan with the sausage in it and bring to a boil over over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in spinach until wilted.

Add desired amount of pasta to the bottom of a soup bowl and ladle sausage soup on top. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and basil.

*garlic not included in original recipe



Tovah! Mikus! Eric and Tiffany!! Try this recipe with Tofurky Italian Sausage and your preferred brand of vegetable broth. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast. I think you'll like it. Will you try it? You should.

No comments: